Friday, June 4, 2010

Uncanny

I had an epiphany the other day.
It is uncanny how similar we are as adults to the way we were as children.
(Ok maybe not totally unfathomable but considering all the developing and growing up we do, it is so cool how similar we remain all our life)
Anyways, in human development recently my teacher talked about children and their self soothing tactics. He mentioned that often those same tactics carry over to what we do as adults.

Exhibit A: As he is talking about this I am "ganking" on my paper edge.
(Ganking is a name my parentals made up for when I was little and would take the ends of anything smooth i.e. a tag, blanket end, etc, and rub it against and in my finger nails...weird I know) Anywho, I am 20 and without even thinking about it I am "ganking" while this very thought is brought up. I do it ALL the time, like multiple times every day. It is a way for me to calm down and be comforted. Odd, but true.

Exhibit B: We also talked about child temperment and how that carries over throughout a life span(for the most part) So what did I do? I called the parentals and asked what I was like as a baby. NOTHING has changed.
Happy
A laugher
Not much of a crier
Stops dead in my tracks when someone starts to tickle my arm or back
Grumpy when hungry but easily soothed
and the clincher...EASILY DISTRACTED.
I informed Natalie about all of this and when I said this last one she started laughing and said, "yep, nothing's changed!"
hahahaha so sad.
Its terrible how easily distracted I am in everything.
It is a bad habit and a resolution of mine to change.
ANYWAYS, I thought this was interesting...probably not to most of you but thats ok im sure mom and dad will get a kick out of it :)

Also, as an ode to our childhood, a couple weeks ago it was our friend Jake's birthday. After getting dinner at Happy Sumo we headed over to a new candy/toy store called BLICKENSTAFF'S at the Riverwoods.
Seriously, it is like the coolest place ever.
Us college kids were in heaven.
Here are some pictures of the place...we had a blast as you can tell,
enjoy!


The birthday boy!


hahahahaha Matt is my favorite in this, hiding behind Scott with a mouth full of candy. Ps Scott is the one on the elephant and the elephant's name is naturally, Kylee. (Natalie's thought process not mine, check it on fb you'll see)


This was taken for respects of AV #426..."Harmony in the Animal Kingdom"


Who the heck knows

wallssssssssss of candy, this was only one section


Completely made out of candy...a kid's dream...ok Natalie's and mine too



PS: I am going home in exactly 2 weeks to spend 2 whole months in my lovely mesatown. I cannot wait! Provo: you are good to me...well most of the time...but I need a break. Im stoked for contintuos sunshine and weather I can count on, even if it is 110 degrees. Excited for a funfilled drive down too....nat and I having some serious chats about life (whats new) and an overnight stay in Vegas with some darling girls. Now just 4 more tests and I am outta here!